Merthyr Town 0 - 3 Weymouth
04 Feb 2018, Sunday


Before the home game with Weymouth, Merthyr forward Ian Traylor was presented with a trophy for reaching 150 goals for the club. Secretary Phil Mack and Wayne Cooper made the presentation. Traylor has been a regular scorer since joining The Martyrs.

A harsh scoreline for The Martyrs perhaps but yet again, it was a tussle against a team contending for the play-offs (writes Phil Howells).It has been a run of difficult fixtures.

And Merthyr never really looked like scoring despite their possession. They probably had more of the first-half play and earned several flag-kicks, three in a two-minute spell, before The Seasiders earned one. But the Weymouth defence coped well , Ashley  Wells and Jake McCarthy clearing centres with comfidence.

Merthyr attacked from the start. Early on, Ryan Prosser followed  up from Ian Traylor but goalkeeper Will Dennis intercepted..Then  Prosser was through again only to lose out to Calvin Brooks.

When Weymouth replied, Merthyr 'keeper Oliver Davies saved from danger man Brendan Goodship.

A well-executed centre from Adam Davies was headed away as Prossser moved in.

This was the pattern as the away defence coped well.The spell of corners saw Ashley Evans head over with Merthyr's nearest effort.

Merthyr escaped on 32 minutes when a good move saw Goodship's shot booted off the line by Kyle Patten, returning after injury

But two minutes later, Weymouth made the breakthrough  with Harry Baker rising well to head in from Abdulai Baggie's left cross.

Adam Davies sent in a drive which Dennis did well to hold at the post before half-time.

Corey Jenkins was soon in action after the turn-around, attacking down the flank.But the task was harder when Weymouth's second goal came on 65 minutes, Josh Carmichael netting after Merthyr lost possession.

Prosser kept pressing and was wide with a snap-shot.

Connor Hanford and Harrison Lewis replaced Jaye Bowen and Harry Franklin on  74 minutes in a bid to change things.

Prosser was in  with a chance from a Traylor ball but Dennis was quick to save.With seven minutes left, it was 0-3. An accurate centre from Brooks was met by Goodship who headed home.

Merthyr battled on but without a consolation goal despite Evans driving in a free-kick which hit the post late in the match.

*The Weymouth officials thanked Merthyr for their superb hospitality.

Newsletter Sign-up



View All